Post By RelatedRelated Post
The self-propelled drive is what gives the wheels power and works by a cable that’s attached to the traction adjustment knob on the Toro mower handle.
Whenever you install new self propel cables or if the self-propel drive is out of adjustment, adjust the self-propel drive to ensure the drive system works correctly. The traction adjustment knob provides a simple way to adjust the cable to make your mower more responsive or less responsive.
Hi! If you have a Toro self-propelled walk power mower, I’ve got a quick tip to help you keep your mower’s traction adjusted for optimal performance.
You might have seen this knob and decal on the side and wondered what it’s for. Well, you can actually use it to make your mower either more or less responsive. Now your mower should be adjusted correctly right out of the box but you may have a personal preference in how it feels as you mow. Over time the belt may stretch due to wear, making the mower feel less responsive than you’d like. The traction adjustment knob makes it really easy to adjust the traction. Let me show you how.
How to Adjust Traction on a Self-Propel Lawn Mower
- Now before you make any adjustment, turn off the mower
- Loosen the traction adjustment knob by turning it counterclockwise
- To increase traction, pull the cable down toward the engine.
- To decrease traction, pull the cable up toward the handle.
- Then tighten the traction knob by turning it clockwise.
- Always tighten the traction cables in small increments and see how it feels.
- If you tighten it too much the mower could creep forward or make it difficult to roll the mower backwards freely.
If you’ve had the mower for a while and tightening the cables doesn’t do the trick, check your belt. If you need to replace it, refer to your owner’s manual and check out Torodealer.com for genuine Toro parts.